Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!

I'm actually writing this on New Year's Eve afternoon, thinking back over the year that has flown by so quickly and remembering just how much I've accomplished... and failed. Needless to say, the failures will be reattempted again this year in hopes of becoming successes and accomplishments to look back on NEXT year ;)

In just the last half of 2011 I've managed to reach a point in my jewelry making where I'm confident enough to consider actually selling some in the future. I look back at some of my older pieces, even just from the start of this year and cringe to think of having made and gifted them. I'm so proud of myself for having made such huge leaps in the quality of my work :)

I'm also proud of myself for having stuck with it as well as having stuck with this blog... although I haven't been as regular with posting as I'd originally intended.

While my quality in my work has improved, my productivity is just as lagging as ever >.<  To remedy this I've decided to set myself a challenge... and to share it with all of you.

This is an open and completely personal challenge. YOU decide what your challenge is and set your own limits, then just share your progress with me and anyone else interested :) I know some who think that a pair of earrings a day for a month is a great challenge, but for me that's just too many earrings to end up with since I don't have a shop yet to sell them in, plus a daily challenge just isn't right for me >.<


I've added a page just for my challenge where I'll keep a linkup of all my challenge entries, as well as links to anyone who joins me in challenging themselves to keep creatively productive no matter how busy their lives are :) 

Check out the 'challenge' tab at the top of my page :)
and with that, I'll leave you with a fabulous New Year's wish -

"I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes.
Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're Doing Something...

So that's my wish for you, and all of us, and my wish for myself. Make New Mistakes. Make glorious, amazing mistakes. Make mistakes nobody's ever made before. Don't freeze, don't stop, don't worry that it isn't good enough, or it isn't perfect, whatever it is: art, or love, or work or family or life.
Whatever it is you're scared of doing, Do it.
Make your mistakes, next year and forever." ~ Neil Gaiman
- http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2011/12/my-new-year-wish.html




~ Skye











2 comments:

  1. My challenge for the year is to enter all of Art Bead Love monthly design contests. Come to think of it, they haven't post the inspiration pic for this month yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a bit slow on the uptake but I accept your challenge. I have several challenges for myself this year:
    1. To learn a new beading technique a month.
    2. Use my SLR camera and take at least four new pictures a day. Doesn't matter what they are as long as I learn how to use my camera and improve.
    3.Get my Etsy and Artfie accounts up and running. I have to pay for my beading addiction some how.

    ReplyDelete